Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Walk of Faith


For most of us, walking through the bridge located in the center of UIA has been a routine activity. It’s beautiful how the petite bridge connects the two parts of UIA. Many a times as I walk along the bridge, I often appreciate how pleasurable the walk is and how by the time I realize, I’m already at the other end of the bridge. Sometimes, a beautiful fountain springs into life and adds a nice cooling touch to the overall saunter. It’s splendid as to how the bridge is surrounded by awe-inspiring scenery around- the river beneath, the exquisite masjid in front, the towering mountains from behind and the happy blue sky above. Indeed how picturesque.
And then one fine day as I walk through the very same bridge, I could no longer see the river or the mountains.I feel intense heat surrounding me and flames gushing forth from underneath. It’s dark and scary and I hear people yelling in pain. As I put my foot on the bridge to cross, I realize the bridge has become sharper than a sword and finer than a hair strand and I’m afraid to put my next foot on. I can see someone ahead of me who has fallen. My feet are getting hurt from the obstacles but I just want to hold on. Then I start to see light. Light which is inexplicably different for each one of us. For some, it is as tall as a palm-tree, whereas for some others, it’s like their shadows. How long will it take for me to reach the other end? It seems like forever. But I can see some people passing by like the blink of an eye, some like a lightning bolt, some like a bird, and some as if on a noble horse. Yet some others cross it crawling and some are snatched and thrown beneath. What is going on? Why has the walk on the bridge become so agonizing?
Alas, I remember the saying of our Prophet (S.A.W.S) “And the Bridge is laid down over Hell and I and my Ummah will be the first to cross it. None but the Messengers will speak then, and their invocation will be ‘O Allah! Grant us safety! Grant us safety!”( Muslim) Al-Sirat, The Bridge, before me- the final test of truth and the exodus begins to paradise or to hell. As I’m drawn back to reality, I realize the most certain truth, that one day we will be tested on the walk of our faith. Our walk on this path is up to us, our speed on this bridge is up to us, our fall is up to us, the obstacles which will hurt, are up to us.

My beloved fellow Muslims, we are here now, in this world, where the light is, where the opportunity is, where the preparation for the walk is. 

Let’s Light up our Path in the after-life by being heedful of the commands of our Lord. Let’s begin our walk here and conclude it in the courtyard of paradise.
Insha’Allah.



No comments:

Post a Comment